About the Rangers

How to Become a Ranger

The Lorain County Metro Parks hires Rangers for the following positions:

  • Visitor Service Technician (Seasonal Ranger) April – October
  • Year Round Part-Time Service Ranger – Year-round,
    up to 32 hours week
  • Full Time Service Ranger

If you are interested in applying for one of the positions above, you may apply onlineor stop by one of our offices and pick up an application. Minimum qualifications are listed below.

Ranger's Life FlightMinimum Qualification

  • Successfully completed the Ohio Basic Police Officer Certification
  • At lease 21 years of age
  • Valid Ohio Drivers License with a good driving record
  • Natural Resources background preferred for full time
    and year round positions


How to Contact a Ranger

Rangers are available and on patrol year round. To contact the Ranger Department, please call the District office at 1-800-LCM-PARK or (440)458-5121 and a ranger will be dispatched to assist you. If you need assistance after 4:30 pm, please contact the Lorain County Sheriff’s Office at 440-323-1212 and they will dispatch a ranger to your location. If you need assistance at the Beaver Creek Reservation in Amherst, please contact the Amherst Police Dept. at 440-988-2625. In all cases, if you have an emergency, all 911 and a ranger will be dispatched.

What to report:

Violation of park rules, suspicious or criminal activity, or any other park problems requiring a rangers attention whether it is an emergency or non-emergency. Non emergency calls should be directed to the district office by calling (440) 458-5121 8:00 am-4:30 pm, seven days a week

What does the Park District need when I report a crime or problem?

The dispatcher will obtain as much information from you as necessary so that it can be relayed to the responding officer or park manager. A phone number may be requested in order to gather more information if needed. You also may remain anonymous if you wish.


Forms of Patrol

Patrol VehiclesPatrol Vehicles 

The Rangers use different types of patrol vehicles such as cruisers and pick-up trucks to patrol roadways and improved trails. The vehicles that are used are marked with the Metro Parks logo and are equipped with emergency lights and siren.


Motorcycle PatrolMotorcycle Patrol 

Motorcycles are utilized in areas of the park where it is not feasible to patrol with a traditional patrol vehicle such as unimproved trails. They are also used to reduce fuel consumption.



Bike PatrolBike Patrol

 Bicycles are utilized in crowded areas such as special events where space is limited but where the officer may need to travel quickly. Bicycles also make the officer more approachable compared to a traditional patrol vehicle.



Foot PatrolFoot Patrol

 Foot patrol is another way we can access park areas that are not accessible by any other means and is an excellent way to talk with our visitors.




Ranger Programs

Bike for your HealthBike for Your Health

The bike patrol unit of the Lorain County Metro Parks Ranger Department provides a supervised cycling program called Bike for Your Health. Each program is lead by a Ranger and local vendor and includes a discussion on bike related issues and then a bike ride along one the bike trails in the parks. This program meets the 3rd Tuesday of the month, April through October.

Hike for Your Health

Lorain County Metro Parks Rangers and staff from the Lorain County Community College’s Division of Health, Physical Education and Recreation lead hikes the 2nd Thursday of the month from April through October in Black River, French Creek, Sandy Ridge and the Kopf Family Reservation. Each hike includes a discussion on a health topic and a brisk 2 mile hike.

Safety Towns

Lorain County Metro Parks Rangers visit Safety Towns each year to talk with children about safety in the parks and in nature. Call (440) 458-5121 to schedule a ranger.


Frequently Asked Questions

Can a ranger help me identify a plant or animal?

Many of our rangers have degrees in natural resource or have attended training in this area and will be able to assist you with your natural resources. If you need further assistance, fell free to contact the naturalist dept.

I found an injured animal. Can the metro parks
take care of it?

The Lorain County Metro Parks does not maintain a rehabilitation clinic for injured wildlife. The park district works closely with local veterinarians and wildlife rehabilitators who are more qualified to handle these situations. You may call during business hours and speak to a naturalist who can offer assistance on how to best handle the situation.

I have a sick raccoon in my backyard, can I call a ranger to come and remove it?

The wildlife in the State of Ohio is managed by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources. If you have a wild animal on your property that needs attention, your local law enforcement agency can assist you.

I want to be a ranger, how do I go about that?

You can apply online here or to any of our offices and pickup an application. Full time Rangers at the Lorain County Metro Parks are graduates of an Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy and it is preferred to have an associate’s degree (or equivalent) in a natural resource area. Once you become a ranger, your schooling and training does not stop. All rangers attend refresher and law enforcement classes.

Links to area police academies:

What are the job duties of a ranger?

Metro Parks Rangers enforce the laws of the state of Ohio and park laws. They take reports, direct traffic, and render aid to injured people and stranded motorists. Rangers also provide programming such as talking to children at safety towns or leading a hike. Rangers also assist with park maintenance such as mowing grass, snow removal and setting up special events.

To Top